Sports Turf Managers Association (STMA) – the professional organization for 2,700 men and women who manage sports fields worldwide and are critical to the safety of athletes and coaches – confirmed its 2020 board of directors.
Jimmy Simpson, Certified Sports Field Manager (CSFM) and facilities management coordinator for the Town of Cary (North Carolina), has been elected STMA president. Simpson will serve a one-year term.
“STMA continually leads our industry forward and has brought together a community of sports field managers spanning generations,” says Jimmy Simpson, newly-elected president. “I am honored to have the opportunity to collaborate with fellow STMA members and the Board of Directors to advance our long term vision, increase awareness and connect with all generations while setting the standard when it comes to safe playing fields around the world.”
Other elected-officers include:
- Immediate Past President – Jody Gill, CSFM, grounds coordinator, Blue Valley School District (Overland Park, Kan.)
- President-Elect – Nick McKenna, CSFM, assistant athletic field maintenance manager, Texas A&M (College Station, Texas)
- Commercial Vice President – Jeremy Bohonko, regional manager – Piedmont Region, Ewing Irrigation and Landscape Supply (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Secretary / Treasurer – James Bergdoll, CSFM, director of park maintenance, City of Chattanooga Public Works (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
Directors fulfilling a second-year term:
- Professional Facilities Director – Stephen Lord, CSFM, head groundskeeper, Cincinnati Reds (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- K-12 Director – Jeremy Driscoll, grounds supervisor, St. Marks High School (Wilmington, Del.)
Members elected to Director positions:
- Higher Education Director – Clark Cox, CSFM, assistant athletics director of sports turf and landscaping, University of South Carolina (Columbia, S.C.)
- Academic Director – Adam Thoms, Ph.D., assistant professor, Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa.)
- Parks and Recreation Director – Brad Thedens, CSFM, park caretaker, City of Sioux Falls (Sioux Falls, S.D.)
- At-Large Elected Director – Scott Thompson, CSFM, superintendent of sports fields and grounds, Duke University (Durham, N.C.)
Members appointed to Director positions:
- Commercial Director – Turner Revels, president, Revels Turf and Tractor (Fuquay-Varina, N.C.)
- At-Large Appointed Director – Joshua Koss, CSFM, landscape services manager, San Diego State University (San Diego, Calif.)
The Sports Turf Managers Association conducts its annual elections electronically in late November and the Board officially takes office during the Conference & Exhibition each January.
Next year’s event will be held in Palms Springs, Calif. Jan. 11-14, 2021. The following year’s conference will be held in Savannah, Ga. Jan. 17-20, 2022.